Problem with FTP never dies

Nimmimonie
edited November -1 in Bug/Issue Reports

Why is it always hard to connect via FTP? I always end up with a "Connection timeout" error or "Cannot get directory listing". No matter what FTP client I use, be it FileZilla or WinSCP, the problem is the same.

Comments

• ChrisPAR
    edited November -1

@Nimmimonie said:
    Why is it always hard to connect via FTP? I always end up with a "Connection timeout" error or "Cannot get directory listing". No matter what FTP client I use, be it FileZilla or WinSCP, the problem is the same.

1. Try increasing your timeout period in your FileZilla client, it might fix it.
    2. If not, the issue may be that ProFreeHost has set a low inactivity timeout on the server. Leaving FTP connections open on the server still uses up a bit of server power, and server power is valuable for them.
  • Nimmimonie
    edited July 2018

@ChrisPAR said:

@Nimmimonie said:

1. Try increasing your timeout period in your FileZilla client, it might fix it.
    2. If not, the issue may be that ProFreeHost has set a low inactivity timeout on the server. Leaving FTP connections open on the server still uses up a bit of server power, and server power is valuable for them.

When using FileZilla, I always see the problem with the MLSD command not completing successfully. In WinSCP, I already increased the timeout to about 45 seconds and still the same. It always worked only the first time when uploading bunch of files. Also, why is it that images don't load properly in ProFreeHost? I have several sites here and none of them render images smoothly. Most of the time, there are images that are not displayed even if I already preloaded them in the <head>. That's why before I host all of my images on Google Drive but after I encountered a problem with the service where files can't be downloaded, I thought of putting the images back to the server.

Anyone having the same problem with images?

• ChrisPAR
    edited November -1

@Nimmimonie said:

@ChrisPAR said:

@Nimmimonie said:

When using FileZilla, I always see the problem with the MLSD command not completing successfully. In WinSCP, I already increased the timeout to about 45 seconds and still the same. It always worked only the first time when uploading bunch of files. Also, why is it that images don't load properly in ProFreeHost? I have several sites here and none of them render images smoothly. Most of the time, there are images that are not displayed even if I already preloaded them in the <head>. That's why before I host all of my images on Google Drive but after I encountered a problem with the service where files can't be downloaded, I thought of putting the images back to the server.

Anyone having the same problem with images?

I can't say I have experienced something similar with images.
    Could you give a screenshot on the page which the errors are showing?

• Admin
    edited November -1

If you are uploading files via FTP, change your file transfer mode to binary. Also, it is recommended to use gzip compression and leverage browser cache to load files faster.

• Nimmimonie
    edited November -1

@Admin said:
    If you are uploading files via FTP, change your file transfer mode to binary. Also, it is recommended to use gzip compression and leverage browser cache to load files faster.

Usually, when FTP connects, I don't have a problem with transfer. My usual problem is with connecting to the server and not file transfer. None of the FTP clients I use can connect successfully every time. Sometimes it connects and I can do file transfer, and sometimes it doesn't where I always get a timeout error. Already configured the client down to 1 minute timeout but nothing happens.

How do you leverage browser cache? I don't see any option for that. I have SeaMonkey, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera and none of them display my pages perfectly. When I create the pages on my computer, all images appear perfectly. But once I upload the page to the server, none of the images appear completely. Most of the time one or two will not load. When I do a refresh, everything disappears. I always fix the problem when hosting the images on cloud servers like Google Drive.

How to use the gzip compression?

• Nimmimonie
    edited November -1

@Admin said:

Thanks for recommending gzip. After I enable it in .htaccess, the site is now working properly on the images.

• Nimmimonie
    edited November -1

Again, thanks for the info on leveraging browser cache. I am now applying it.