Need other webmasters' opinion

Nimmimonie
edited November -1 in General Discussions

This is not a problem actually, but just a little clarification. In ProFreeHost, all files default to 644 permissions and folders to 755. Before, I always host my images on cloud service because I always get broken images when I put the images on the server. Sometimes 1 or 2 will get missing and worst all. When I refresh, everything disappears like the CSS and JavaScript will stop loading but everything works fine on my computer. The problem will just appear when the files are uploaded to the server.

But after Google Drive gave me a problem last month where I cannot download a thing, I decided to host the images back to ProFreeHost and the problem, as usual, came back. I tried everything like enabling Gzip and or deflate, leveraging browser control, moving parts of the CSS to the HTML file itself, and so on but none worked.

With my searching, I decided to look on the files' permissions as with one website recommends. I then realized that here, files default to 644 while other websites keep noting 744 permissions on files. So there's the difference.

On my troubleshooting, I tried changing the permissions for HTMLs and PHPs from 644 to 744 but it didn't work. I still get broken images and scripts. I then tried 755 just like with the folders' permissions and it did work. Now, what's with the EXECUTE permission that makes HTML and PHP files perform their tasks properly?

I now use 755 on HTMLs and PHPs just like with the folder's permissions while all others are left to 644. Anyone can suggest a good reading about web server permissions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Nimmimonie
    edited November -1

me and my big mouth. after I post this, my site went back to shitty again. the perfectly working theme lasted only a couple of days. if I didn't posted this, my site would have been working exactly as I want until now. the problem is not with the files or permissions. it's the hosting because it's free.

• TheCrafters
    edited November -1

@Nimmimonie said:
    me and my big mouth. after I post this, my site went back to shitty again. the perfectly working theme lasted only a couple of days. if I didn't posted this, my site would have been working exactly as I want until now. the problem is not with the files or permissions. it's the hosting because it's free.

So, is your problem resolved?
    I do not understand what you mean by this.

• ChrisPAR
    edited November -1

@Nimmimonie said:

Hi,
    can you actually give a link to your site and a screenshot to see what is wrong?
    By the way, are you using CloudFlare? I do not have any problem such as yours and I can only suspect that if you have selected Flexible SSL it will break your site and/or themes.

• Nimmimonie
    edited November -1

@TheCrafters said:

@Nimmimonie said:

So, is your problem resolved?
    I do not understand what you mean by this.

I started changing the permissions of the files several days ago hoping to fix the problem with broken images. Before, I always host my images in Google Drive because hosting images in ProFreeHost tends to break. Now, after I finished with the permissions, it worked but lasted only several days after i created this thread. All images are crappy again. Images don't load properly including javascripts. when I refresh, everything disappears. it's like the files are not getting served by the server.

• Nimmimonie
    edited November -1

@ChrisPAR said:

@Nimmimonie said:

Hi,
    can you actually give a link to your site and a screenshot to see what is wrong?
    By the way, are you using CloudFlare? I do not have any problem such as yours and I can only suspect that if you have selected Flexible SSL it will break your site and/or themes.

I don't use cloudflare because I think it's for premium hosting only. my problem is with linked files like css, js, and images. when I refresh, js and css get neglected and not called making everything disappear. the footer that was supposedly be called from the js but is not served making the footer totally disappear. the background image in the css also doesn't appear.

• ChrisPAR
    edited November -1

@Nimmimonie said:

@ChrisPAR said:

@Nimmimonie said:

Hi,

I don't use cloudflare because I think it's for premium hosting only. my problem is with linked files like css, js, and images. when I refresh, js and css get neglected and not called making everything disappear. the footer that was supposedly be called from the js but is not served making the footer totally disappear. the background image in the css also doesn't appear.

This is the first time I hear that. I personally have no issue.

Could you try, if you would like, to enable CloudFlare either from cPanel or by changing your nameservers and try again? Cloudflare is free, it is not only for premium, except if you have an ezyro or unaux.com domain and not a real one with a TLD (like .com).

I am telling you that because all my websites hosted are using CloudFlare and have no issues neither with images nor with css.

I can only think of one issue that may be causing this. Are you actually trying to load CSS and JS from another website, even from a subdomain?

That may be the error, because loading/embedding files from another domains in ProFreeHost will not work due to an API blocking these requests, and the only way to bypass this is Cloudflare or putting your CSS and JS files in the same directory as your main domain.

• Nimmimonie
    edited November -1

@ChrisPAR said:

@Nimmimonie said:

@ChrisPAR said:

@Nimmimonie said:

Hi,

Could you try, if you would like, to enable CloudFlare either from cPanel or by changing your nameservers and try again? Cloudflare is free, it is not only for premium, except if you have an ezyro or unaux.com domain and not a real one with a TLD (like .com).

I am telling you that because all my websites hosted are using CloudFlare and have no issues neither with images nor with css.

I can only think of one issue that may be causing this. Are you actually trying to load CSS and JS from another website, even from a subdomain?

That may be the error, because loading/embedding files from another domains in ProFreeHost will not work due to an API blocking these requests, and the only way to bypass this is Cloudflare or putting your CSS and JS files in the same directory as your main domain.

My files are all here in the server. CloudFlare is for custom domains, they can't be used on free hosting sites that use subdomains for users. I think I will have my files (images, css, js) hosted on Box.com. Even the image in the CSS doesn't load. How can a 300 byte-size file fail to load on CSS? All images are optimized for web and I use Gzip including cache control. None of the measures I did worked. When I changed the permissions for all files, it worked but didn't last longer.

When an HTML loads and images break, right-clicking a particular image to reload it manually doesn't reload the affected image. It's like the image is linked to a dead site. Then when you refresh by F5, everything disappears and all was left were squares for the image containers. I'm thinking of putting the images on CDN but I can't find a CDN service that works on free hosting sites.

• Nimmimonie
    edited November -1

found a solution with cdn that works with GitHub. this is one problem with free hosted sites that's why others laugh when talking about free hosting sites. will be trying on other free hosting sites to see if there's a change. I already tried on 000webhost.com long time ago and it's different there. everything is working, no problem with images, css, and or js. the only problem there is your site. you don't know when will it go down or if it is still up and available on their next update. everything is by chance.

• ChrisPAR
    edited November -1

@Nimmimonie said:

@ChrisPAR said:

@Nimmimonie said:

@ChrisPAR said:

@Nimmimonie said:

Hi,

My files are all here in the server. CloudFlare is for custom domains, they can't be used on free hosting sites that use subdomains for users. I think I will have my files (images, css, js) hosted on Box.com. Even the image in the CSS doesn't load. How can a 300 byte-size file fail to load on CSS? All images are optimized for web and I use Gzip including cache control. None of the measures I did worked. When I changed the permissions for all files, it worked but didn't last longer.

When an HTML loads and images break, right-clicking a particular image to reload it manually doesn't reload the affected image. It's like the image is linked to a dead site. Then when you refresh by F5, everything disappears and all was left were squares for the image containers. I'm thinking of putting the images on CDN but I can't find a CDN service that works on free hosting sites.

Why aren't you using a free domain like .ml, .gq or .ooo instead of subdomains?

• Nimmimonie
    edited November -1

I haven't thought about free domains. any advantages/disadvantages you know?

• TheCrafters
    edited November -1

@Nimmimonie said:

Freenom is a good place to start.
    The free advantage is that you can have it for as long as you want (but you can only renew it 14 days before it expires)

1 thing I find weird about freenom is the pricing

• 1 month - Free
    • 2 months - Free
    • 3 months - Free
    • 4 months - Free
    • 5 months - Free
    • 6 months - free
    • 7 months - free
    • 8 months - free
    • 9 months - free
    • 10 months - free
    • 11 months - free
    • 12 months - free
    • 1 Year - USD 9.95
    • So on...
      If you are giving something for free for 12 months just set it to free for a year.
      Anyway for all my domains i set it to 12 months.
  • ChrisPAR
    edited August 2018

@Nimmimonie said:

If your domain gets way too popular they might display ads on it and/or terminate it.
    By very popular I mean to be highly ranked in Alexa etc.
    Advantages are that:
    You get more control over your site
    You can do anything you want with it, add CloudFlare, get free SSL etc.
    It will be generally more trusted than subdomains.

• Nimmimonie
    edited November -1

the problem is, both subdomains and free domains are treated the same more often. another disadvantage is that you won't be able to transfer it to your own because generally, the domain is still owned by that company. I found one site that offers free domain creation called freenom. I'm not just sure if they are good.

• ChrisPAR
    edited August 2018

@Nimmimonie said:
    the problem is, both subdomains and free domains are treated the same more often. another disadvantage is that you won't be able to transfer it to your own because generally, the domain is still owned by that company. I found one site that offers free domain creation called freenom. I'm not just sure if they are good.

I was talking about Freenom when I mentioned Free Domains.
    They are good and you can safely use them, but remember what I had said about the very high traffic.
    Freenom may also suspend you if you have no content at all on your site..
    In the end, you will have to decide if you will give them a try or not.