How to use the Cron Jobs?

MikeYates
edited November -1 in Support Forums

It seems far from Unix-standard!
What sort of scripts work?
Does it mean "every 12 hours" or "at 12:00" ?1.

Comments

• Admin
    edited November -1

It seems far from Unix-standard!
    What sort of scripts work?
    Does it mean "every 12 hours" or "at 12:00" ?1.

Minute - Set this to the minute past the hour you wish the job to run on

Hour - Set this to the hour of the day you would like the job to run on

Day - Set the day of the week you wish the job to run on

Month - Set the month of the year you would like the job to run on

Weekday - This dropdown can be used to select the day(s) of the week you would like the job to run on.

This is general guideline of a cron job and applies here also.

• MikeYates
    edited November -1

Well, I'm very familiar with all you've written, however that is NOT what appears in the control panel!

Here's a "text paste" of the form:-

Cron Jobs

Current Cron Jobs

Minutes Hours Command
    [min] [hour] [URL] Remove Cron

Add a new cron job
    Every Minutes [pull-down]
    and / or
    Every Hours [pull-down]
    Run the script [part-filled URL]

Is that what appears in your Control Panel?

I have tried setting up a PHP script which works just fine from my browser at home but it is not run by the "cron job", whatever the time settings.
    I tried Perl and shell scripts but they got deleted when their time arrived; the PHP stays in my list.

• Admin
    edited November -1

Well, I'm very familiar with all you've written, however that is NOT what appears in the control panel!

Here's a "text paste" of the form:-

Cron Jobs

Current Cron Jobs

Minutes Hours Command
    [min] [hour] [URL] Remove Cron

Add a new cron job
    Every Minutes [pull-down]
    and / or
    Every Hours [pull-down]
    Run the script [part-filled URL]

Is that what appears in your Control Panel?

I have tried setting up a PHP script which works just fine from my browser at home but it is not run by the "cron job", whatever the time settings.
    I tried Perl and shell scripts but they got deleted when their time arrived; the PHP stays in my list.

What script are you trying to run and what is your username?

• MikeYates
    edited November -1

My domain is fonehelp.unaux.com
    The script "test.php" is an anti-tamper security measure which takes a directory listing of the site (unfortunately (your) PHP will not allow recursion) on each run and compares it with the previous listing. If there is a difference, that is emailed to me.

• MikeYates
    edited November -1

Anybody know this?

• Admin
    edited November -1

My domain is fonehelp.unaux.com
    The script "test.php" is an anti-tamper security measure which takes a directory listing of the site (unfortunately (your) PHP will not allow recursion) on each run and compares it with the previous listing. If there is a difference, that is emailed to me.

The case is same on our hosting. We restrict this because of potential abuse to our system as it does not add to the greater benefit of our clients. Our hosting is basically for starters and individual level websites. Moreover, email functionality on our servers is limited to popular scripts. You can only use external email service with custom scripts.

• MikeYates
    edited November -1

Ah, that makes sense.
    Is it very difficult customise your Control Panel for ProFreeHost users, either removing items like this or putting warnings on restricted items?
    It seems odd that long-acting PHP or non-PHP scripts are automatically removed from the schedule (security for paying users) while short PHP scripts do not run at all for free users.
    Also odd that the emailing part of my script worked up until 31/01/17 but now does not. It would only go to addresses inside unaux.com but the forwarding service worked OK last month.
    Anyway, tamper checking is easy by running the script URL from my PC on a schedule and comparing the listing which is displayed on its webpage with the previous one.