Free SSL not working on free hosting

Hello All,

Help please. I have followed all instructions, ie. signed up on Cloudflare, redirected my domain to claoudflare's servers, generated and uploaded Key and Certificate on my free ProFreeHost Cpanel. Although SSL checker websites say that everything is fine, I still don't get the 'https' and the padlock.
Any ideas please?

Thanks, Wazi

Comments

  • edited November 6

    @Wazi

    Post (reply) your domain name.


    SSL without cloud flare
    https://www.badtech.gq/

  • Hello,

    These are the domain names:
    www.changeup.ga
    and changeup.ga

    Thank You.

  • edited November 7

    @Wazi said:
    Hello,

    These are the domain names:
    www.changeup.ga
    and changeup.ga

    Thank You.

    Hello,

    the SSL works fine from here. You should try to clear your DNS cache.

    Kind Regards.


    ChrisPAR, PFH Forum Moderator

  • Hello,

    Thanks for your answer, but I have cleared the DNS cache both in Windows and in Google Chrome itself and still in the browser address bar it is saying 'not secure', with no lock or https. If I go to SSL checker is says

  • @Wazi said:
    Hello,

    Thanks for your answer, but I have cleared the DNS cache both in Windows and in Google Chrome itself and still in the browser address bar it is saying 'not secure', with no lock or https. If I go to SSL checker is says

    It says what? That it is secure?

    You may have to contact your ISP then if this problem does not resolve, because the SSL works fine from here and it might be a problem with your router.

  • Sorry, to continue, if I go to SSL Checker it says everything is fine - just not in any browser address bars..

  • @Wazi said:
    Sorry, to continue, if I go to SSL Checker it says everything is fine - just not in any browser address bars..

    Could you post the error screen when you visit https://changeup.ga/ ?

    It should show a red alert or something.

    Then, as I said, maybe contacting your ISP will be the only solution and might do the trick. I had a similar issue before and the problem wss my router.

  • Its not letting me attach amage, but I will try ISP first - thanks.

  • Oh, when I put https://changeup.ga/ the lock comes on, but when I just put changeup.ga there is no lock. So, is that something I have to do with ProFreeHost to get it to point to the https each time and not the insecure http?

  • edited November 8

    @Wazi
    add to file: /htdocs/.htaccess

    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L,R=301]

    @Wazi
    my bad your on cloud flare. use cloud flare to redirect all http traffic to https.

  • Whoa, now https://changeup.ga is broken, maybe you need to check it @Wazi

    In the meantime, If you are on cloudflare, why not use their "auto redirect to https" or a similar option they have? It is just one click and no need to mess with htaccess

  • Thumbs Up! Thanks both. Yes, I broke it initially because I tried to redirect to https on Cpanel, but now I just went to the Crypto tab on Cloudflare and ticked 'Always use HTTPS' and it is working.

    I have also checked SSL checker, which is all ticks - so does this mean I am now safe to set up shop?

    One last q please: SSL checker says my SSL certificate is valid for a year, but SSL For Free, where ProFreeHost says one must get free SSL certificates from, says 3 months? Which is right please?

    Thanks again for sorting my HTTPS!!

  • @Wazi said:
    Thumbs Up! Thanks both. Yes, I broke it initially because I tried to redirect to https on Cpanel, but now I just went to the Crypto tab on Cloudflare and ticked 'Always use HTTPS' and it is working.

    I have also checked SSL checker, which is all ticks - so does this mean I am now safe to set up shop?

    One last q please: SSL checker says my SSL certificate is valid for a year, but SSL For Free, where ProFreeHost says one must get free SSL certificates from, says 3 months? Which is right please?

    Thanks again for sorting my HTTPS!!

    Profreehost does not say you have to use SSLForFree. As I see you are now using the cloud flare's free SSL, which lasts forever.

    Oh, if you have installed the SSLForFree certificate too, you would need to update it every three months if you have selected the "Full Strict" option, otherwise with full you won't need to update it while on CloudFlare.

  • edited November 22

    I'm not in the process
    is it possible to have ssl
    on a free host
    I know it did not work before

    before I had made a https on the clodflare
    but it did not work
    I came to the blacklist on facebook

  • @Dobronamjernik said:
    I'm not in the process
    is it possible to have ssl
    on a free host
    I know it did not work before

    before I had made a https on the clodflare
    but it did not work
    I came to the blacklist on facebook

    Whoa, the facebook blacklist and getting a free SSL are way too different things. The SSL has nothing to do with you getting blacklisted.

    You can get a free SSL with CloudFlare, yes, and it will work perfectly except on Windows XP PCs using Chrome or IE.

  • edited November 23

    Ten months ago I set up a free cloudflare certificate
    After that on the fecebook I could not share anything from the page (wordpress)
    Only when I deleted SSL facebook is again normal
    but before that I had to file a complaint to facebook

  • @Dobronamjernik said:
    Ten months ago I set up a free cloudflare certificate
    After that on the fecebook I could not share anything from the page (wordpress)
    Only when I deleted SSL facebook is again normal
    but before that I had to file a complaint to facebook

    Yeah, CloudFlare SSL tends to do that, simply because you might be sharing your SSL with Warez and Porn sites.

    You can follow this guide to get a free SSL from Let's Encrypt which will not have these issues, and after you install it disable CloudFlare for it to work.

  • It was not a sex site but a web shop and online game
    so i will not share porn on facebook

    I would not play with this anymore

  • @Dobronamjernik said:
    It was not such a site but a web shop and online game

    I didn't say it was one. I said that when on CF, you are sharing your SSL with such kind of sites.

Sign In or Register to comment.