[Important] Common SSL errors and Tutorials

edited November 1 in News & Announcements

Many people have issues with SSL certificates here on ProFreeHost. That is why we created this article.

Please do NOT create a topic for any of the topics mentioned here, it will either be ignored or you will be given this link.

How to install an SSL certificate on ProFreeHost

https://profreehost.com/support/ssl-https/how-to-install-an-ssl-certificate

The certificate uploaded is NOT for the domain name {your-domain}.

This is probably caused because you have either:
* Registered for a wildcard certificate, which are not available on free hosting
* You are uploading the CA_Certificate which is also not available on free hosting
* You are actually trying to upload a certificate registered for another domain
* The SSL certificate is not issued by a recognized SSL vendor like Comodo or GeoTrust

Let's Encrypt certificate validation cannot be passed

This is caused from the security system presented here, which unfortunately prevents let's Encrypt bots from accessing the folder with the files contained that are neccesary for verification.

Let's Encrypt cannot be implemented into Free Hosting at the time, however it is available to all premium accounts for free.

If you want it so badly however, check out the guide at the end.

There is no Green Lock or you get "Mixed content" error

If your website has an SSL certificate installed but you do not see a green lock, this is because the contents of your website do not use HTTPS.

All files must be loaded over HTTPS in order to get a green lock and fix that Insecure Content error.

My website is ruined after using CloudFlare SSL

If your website contents are ruined after activating CloudFlare and using SSL, the problem is caused because you probably have Flexible SSL selected.

Remember: Do never select Flexible SSL when on a ProFreeHost account. ProFreeHost has already configured Self-Signed SSL certificates for every domain so that they are able to use Full SSL with no problems, and Flexible will cause errors.

How to get a Let's Encrypt SSL for your website

https://profreehost.com/support/ssl-https/free-ssl-on-profreehost-let-s-encrypt-sslforfree.com

To install it, you will have to follow our SSL installation guide above.

Comments

• @ChrisPAR said:
    Many people have issues with SSL certificates here on ProFreeHost. That is why we created this article.
    Please do NOT create a topic for any of the topics mentioned here, it will either be ignored or you will be given this link.
    Thank you.

If you already have an SSL certificate for your domain, you can install it on your account here.

To do so, you will need the certificate and the private key of your certificate. Once you find these files, copy them (one at a time, including the BEGIN PRIVATE KEY / CERTIFICATE and END PRIVATE KEY / CERTIFICATE lines)

Next, go to your Cpanel, click SSL/TLS and then Configure on the domain you want to install the certificate to.

After that, paste the private key you have copied in the Private Key field and click Upload Key. Do the same for the certificate.

* Registered for a wildcard certificate, which are not available on free hosting
    * You are uploading the CA_Certificate which is also not available on free hosting
    * The SSL certificate is not issued by a recognized SSL vendor like Comodo or GeoTrust

This is caused from the security system presented here, which unfortunately prevents let's Encrypt bots from accessing the folder with the files contained that are neccesary for verification.

Let's Encrypt cannot be implemented into Free Hosting at the time, however it is available to all premium accounts for free.

If your website has an SSL certificate installed but you do not see a green lock, this is because the contents of your website do not use HTTPS.

All files must be loaded over HTTPS in order to get a green lock and fix that Insecure Content error.

If your website contents are ruined after activating CloudFlare and using SSL, the problem is caused because you probably have Flexible SSL selected.

Remember: Do never select Flexible SSL when on a ProFreeHost account. ProFreeHost has already configured Self-Signed SSL certificates for every domain so that they are able to use Full SSL with no problems, and Flexible will cause errors.

Also do note:
    Self Signed SSLs are only available on PREMIUM accounts.

• @TheCrafters said:
    Also do note:
    Self Signed SSLs are only available on PREMIUM accounts.

A self-signed SSL is automatically installed on ProFreeHost accounts' websites, however you can not generate your own.

• Hi Admin, I have been trying to add SSL for my website these days. Yet I still cannot transfer my site to HTTPS successfully. I have generated the certificate string from cloudflare (private key and certificate string) and I am trying to copy and paste them in cpanel -> SSL/TLS manager. It accepts my private key but not the certificate. It just said "The certificate uploaded is NOT for the domain name winphoneiz.ga."

• @tacke1997 said:
    Hi Admin, I have been trying to add SSL for my website these days. Yet I still cannot transfer my site to HTTPS successfully. I have generated the certificate string from cloudflare (private key and certificate string) and I am trying to copy and paste them in cpanel -> SSL/TLS manager. It accepts my private key but not the certificate. It just said "The certificate uploaded is NOT for the domain name winphoneiz.ga."

The origin CA certificates from cloudflare are not supported here.

• edited September 15

I added a guide to get LE certificates in free hosting, you may check it if you want, it is at the end.

• @ChrisPAR said:

If you already have an SSL certificate for your domain, you can install it on your account here.

To do so, you will need the certificate and the private key of your certificate. Once you find these files, copy them (one at a time, including the BEGIN PRIVATE KEY / CERTIFICATE and END PRIVATE KEY / CERTIFICATE lines)

Next, go to your Cpanel, click SSL/TLS and then Configure on the domain you want to install the certificate to.

After that, paste the private key you have copied in the Private Key field and click Upload Key. Do the same for the certificate.

If you want it so badly however, check out the guide at the end.

How to get a Let's Encrypt SSL for your website

Let's Encrypt certificates are not supported in Free Hosting by default. However, there is a way to get them, but it can be complicated for simple users.

Don't worry, we will try to make it understandable and we will guide you step-by-step on how to do it. You should succeed if you follow our guide.

To get your certificate, you will need to follow these simple steps

1. Sign Up first for Cloudflare and transfer your domain to them by changing nameservers (cPanel integration won’t work)
    2. Visit www.sslforfree.com, which is an Online ACME client to provide Let's Encrypt certificates
    3. Enter your domain, and select "Manually Verify Domain (DNS)". It will give you some TXT records which you will have to copy.
    4. Go back to Cloudflare and then go to the DNS section of your Dashboard.
    5. Select TXT from the dropdown list, for name enter:
    6. @ for your main domain and/or www if you want people to access your domain from www
    7. Paste the Records(TXT) that you copied and go back to SSLForFree, it will give you your private key and certificate.

Congratulations! You have now a Let's Encrypt certificate which you can use!

To install it, you will have to follow our SSL installation guide above.

Thread Closed; this article is now on the profreehost support page. Click here to go to the articles

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!